Friday, September 12, 2008

Goals

Yesterday morning my kids and I took a walk right after breakfast. The big kids rode the big kid bikes, Kevan sat in the stroller, with me pushing all 32 lbs of him and little miss Karsyn in the Bjorn front-pack. It was perfect set-up and a gorgeous day.

Sometimes my tummy does flip-flops when I look at my babes. I just love 'em so much. And Bryson was in the lead, Kennady trailing behind and my tummy did one of those flops of overflowing love/joy/gratitude and I just felt the Lord whisper to me, "Pray for them." (Especially after I'd read a few posts from Summer and Bethany the other day, I felt really encouraged to spend MORE purposeful time doing that. I am always begging the Lord for His help and wisdom and strength to be consistent in my parenting, to be discerning, to know how to shepherd their hearts instead of just trying to change their behaviors. But I want to be more of a prayer warrior FOR my kids AS I'm simultaneously asking the Lord to help me in my mothering of them.)

One of the things I pray over Bryson is that he will be a Leader for his brother and sisters. Also that he would love the Lord with all of his heart and mind and soul and strength. That he would be a boy who wants to serve others cheerfully, that he would be an encourager for his siblings. A friend of mine has been telling this to her oldest son who is now in high school... "Be the Leader for your generation. Follow Christ. Be the example." And when she shared that, it was like Yesssss. I will build my son up in that way, speaking that wisdom into his life. And he loves to be reminded that he's the Leader and his heart breaks over his sin when he stumbles into disobedience. His heart is tender toward the things of the Lord.

I have had the same prayer for Kennady since she was just an infant... that she would know the love of the Perfect Father. That she would embrace His gift of Life and that she would use her giftings (whatever they may be) to glorify Him and bless everyone around her.


I have nothing but a bunch of praisin' for Jesus when I pray for my baby kitten... Karsyn has come out of her little fussy phase. She sleeps through the night. She naps four or five times during the day. She's cooing and smiling... until she's through with that and then she wants to sleep again. RIGHT NOW, Mama!

I pray that Karsyn continues to grow up healthy and strong and that she, too, would know the love of the Perfect Father.

I love my little man, Kev. He is so sweet and funny and just a character. I've been praying that he would continue to grow strong, that he would respond to correction with a repentant heart, that he would be a hard worker with a cheerful heart. And that his vocabulary would grow! LOL...

As we were walking, I just talked his little ears off about what I was seeing and what he was seeing and pointing to. He's getting better at mimicking. But he really is a one-word-kinda-guy. ("Dude" is his response in most conversations with him and that single word summarizes entire events at times. Although, I have to give him kudos for adding two add'l monosyllabic words to his English: YUP and NOPE. Right on, Kev, right on!)

Anyway, as we walked, I asked him, "Kevan, what do you want to be when you grow up?" And he shouted, [in his usual conversational tone of 10,000 decibals] "DOH!" Which is Kev-speak for DOG. So yeah, everyone's gotta have goals and that's Kev's. He wants to be a canine.

**Huge Grin and a Tummy Flop here**

Thank you, Jesus, for my sweet children. I love that you picked me to be the mom of them! I pray you would continue to prompt me to intercede for their hearts and souls more and more and more and more! Thank You that You hold them in your righteous right hand. May we always seek to usher them into Your arms, that they would see their need for You and Your mercy and Your grace and Your unfailing love. Help us to train them up in the way they should go... give us eyes to see exactly how You've fashioned them, so that we can encourage them in their giftings and strengths. Help us to be consistent in our parenting and yet mindful of each one's individuality. We need You to direct our path. (Especially if one wants to grow up and live in a kennel!)

"Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6 Amplified Bible

7 comments:

Melissa & J.D. said...

Kellie...I love to read what you write. You inspire me with your words, the love you have for the Savior and the grace that you see and appreciate so much in your life. Your babies are just beautiful and I'm convinced that the biggest part of that is because you love them the way you do and teach them about a loving Savior who will always be there for them. Keep up the good work and keep writing and inspiring...the Lord is working through you!

Amy said...

Hey Kells. I see you've been busy as always. I love your posts about raising your children. What an awesome responsibility we have and I get encouragement from your posts. Thanks for sharing them with all of us! I FINALLY started a blog too! Check us out!

Sheila said...

I love the pictures of your kids and your momma heart! The two I have are my joy! I think it's so awesome to get to "figure out" the individual bents each of our kids are created by God with so we can partner with Him in training them in that way. I'm still figuring!

Miss you, and Kris and all my sisters in Oregon!
Sheila

simmie flock said...

When we only had Ethan, I used to wonder how I could love another child as much as I loved him. Now here we are with 4 arrows to sharpen, and our hearts are bigger and deeper towards them than they ever were when we only had one.

The Lord is leading Darren and I down a path, as of late, that is showing us how time-sensitive it is that we pray for our children NOW. That we teach them and grow them in His ways NOW, that we plant His seeds, and cover every area in their lives with prayer, NOW. no matter what the age.

The Lord is so good and loving and faithful to bless our families with the riches of 4 children. May we always hold each others families accountable to His ways.

Love!

simmie flock said...

PS) Avery's future goals are to be "an ice-cream man, or a gas pumper, or a coffee maker man, or bring pizza to your house."

So maybe while Avery's at work pumping gas at Chevron, he can bring his dog Bubba with him.

:)

Mama Amy said...

Awesome pics of Awesome kids! Thanks for sharing your heart and family with us. Beautiful!

Kellie said...

Hey Kellie!

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. I have to admit I have been to yours before and think you do a beautiful job.

I will probably see you around blogworld soon!

Take care,
Kellie