Friday, August 29, 2008

"Mommy, what's in ____________?"

Tonight Bryson is up past bedtime. We've been doing school while the other kids nap, since he is no longer sleeping during naptimes. But today he actually slept because we'd had a fun day at Aunt Yvonne's playing in the pool, so he was pretty tired. So rather than go back and forth to the boys' room because he explains to us that he's "having difficulty falling asleep and that he wants us to pray over him again (and again and again and again and again)," I decided to allow him to do some schoolwork... and I'll tell ya he's especially eager to hang with the grown-ups while the "little kids" are asleep, so he's thrilled to practice his letters.

Anyway, I love the one-on-one time with him. He's fun to be with. He plays and works well by himself. He focuses and concentrates excellently when he's on his own. He is super bright (I know, I'm totally his mom, so I'm totally biased) and he is super inquisitive. I love it!

He's always asking me what things are made of and how they are made and I LOVE IT! He thinks exactly like I do. I always wanna know the why's and how's behind how things work, how things are made, what the dentist is doing exactly when I'm hearing all that drilling and smelling all that smoke, you know that kind of thing.

Tonight, Bryson is by my side as I work on my to-do list for the coming week and he's working on his handwriting and connecting the dots and mostly sharpening pencils. He LOVES using the little pencil sharpener (got 'em 6/$1.00 at Dollar Tree, he and I were both THRILLED!).

And he asks me, "Mommy what are markers?" Ink. Strong Ink.
"Mommy what's in pens?" Ink.
"Mommy what's in pencils?" Graphite. "Graphite?" Yes.
"Mommy what's in crayons?" Wax. And color.

And I had a flashback of one of my favorite snippets of Sesame Street. I used to love watching how an orange crayon was born at the Crayola factory. So I thought to myself, "Find it on Youtube." And I tried a couple searches and found it!!!!! I was so excited (jumping up and down inside, you know, that kind of thrill you get when you can't wait to see your child's reaction to something really cool...)!

We watched it a few minutes ago and he thought it was "awesome, let's watch it again..."

So I had to share it here, too. Tell me you remember this and loved it, too!

5 comments:

simmie flock said...

Hello, ma' lady!
So, I can't believe it...a snippet from Sesame Street I actually DON'T remember?? Unheard of! Unfathomable! Outrageous! :)

OK, so, here's another attempt at me pushing our unique DVD's onto you guys...Aside from the Brady Bunch, Babci ;) bought us the entire 1st season of Sesame Street. You gotta borrow it! Not only will the kids love it, but all those crazy snippets like the crayon one that we loved so much as kids, will really get your nostalgia going! We'll bring it over Sunday night.

And yes, I too have a questioner, in Avery. And i ADORE his questions, mainly b/c I know that means he's really *thinking* about things, and he really is so enthralled with all the answers. He remembers *everything*, and shares his newfound answers with others...he even writes about some of it in his journal! Jesus is so creative with all the different styles of 'gifts' He's given our children, spiritual and other wise!

(BTW, I meant to mention in viv's post...me and Kell have been "besties" for 28 years! I totally get you and viv's connection. It's such a blessing and something that can't be purchased with money, power, etc. So, all 4 of us "besties" are a real blessed bunch...)

Sheila said...

I never watched sesame street much but it reminded me of "How it's made" a show Connor LOVES to watch and we watch a lot out here...it's on the science channel or something.

Mama in Uganda said...

I love teaching the kids--they are just little vessels ready to be filled. May we do so in a manner that is praiseworthy. Something that the Lord keeps reminding me of is that "His Word will not return void." Therefore, with this promnise, I continue to pour scripture into my children--knowing that it is the utmost of importance. If I am teaching them to read, it is for the sole purpose that they might be able to open the Word of God for themselves. If I am teaching geography, it is so that they may be able to pray for God's people around the world. Let's keep poiting them to what matters! And not get caught up with the deception of "wordly wisdom."

Kellie Trenkle said...

amen, transformed! i soooo agree.

Kia Gregory said...

Kelli! Good find! THere have been many times when Oli asks me a question and I say let's google it or you tube it! And that episode of Sesame Street was my favorite. I used to love Crayons when I was little. I used to taste them too! HA!