Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Trenkle Night Life

So... just in case you're wondering how I find the time to do like 59 posts in a row, I'll fill ya in on how that works. Karsyn, sweet girl, is awake from about 9 to midnight every night. But she's NOT happy about it. See below:


So, after she's fed and changed and burped and swaddled and sang to and shushed and kissed... she sits on my lap while I sit at the computer. And she cries. She doesn't want the Dad. She doesn't want to lay down yet (apparently) and so she's on my lap crying (like a wildcat, btw) and I jig her on my knee and pat her on her back (I'm getting very good at one-handed keyboarding/mouse usage). And then about 12:36am she conks out like a purring kitten. See below:




I'm so in love with this baby girl. All my kids, I just love 'em. Continually praising Jesus for the thoughtfulness and creativity of each of His gifts to me. My kids keep me on my [trenkle] toes. They keep me humble, grateful, youthful, wonder-ful. My kids keep me in a place of desperately needing the Lord for wisdom and grace. They keep me on my knees. They keep me awake. LOL. They keep me completely and utterly wrapped around their fingers and safe and cozied up in the comforting arms of Jesus. And they keep me connected in that phileo love for my husband who adores them ALMOST as much as I do.

So... even this moment I've got babyK on my lap waiting for her breathing to settle into that deeeeeeeep newborn sleep so I too can get swaddled up into bed for the night. Things are going good so far. Dishes are done and laundry's caught up and I get a shower once in awhile, too! I'll tell you what, though, I've had a few tearful nights. The tears a mixture of exhaustion (as in tired) and exhaustion (as in self-resources), of gratitude (for my family) and of desperation (for the Lord's grace grace grace). And as Bry and I prayed together a few nights ago (first time in a few days, to have that quiet Holy of Holies kind of prayer time with him), I just poured out my heart to Jesus... so grateful that He is the lifter of my head and the filler of my cup, you know?

I was telling my friend Gracie after one of those tearful nights how I am so grateful for friendships like hers. I'd just gotten done praying with my hubby and checked my email while babyK was on my lap for our nightly quality time. And I'll tell ya what, her timely words of affirmation and encouragement were exactly how in that moment our Jesus was lifting my head and filling my cup. He is so good to me. And I am glad to have you, too! I covet your prayers.

These early newborn days are precious and unpredictable. I need to keep first things first. I'm begging Jesus to protect my marriage from any sly sabotaging the enemy is trying to do. I'm begging Jesus to help me continue in child-training and not be child-tolerating (I know I have to choose my battles b/c there's so many many many minutes I spend nursing -- leaving me tied up and so then I feel like all I'm doing is making threats and not following through). I'm begging Jesus for His mercy and His grace, so much grace. I know His banner over me is love and I'm glad He covers me, swaddles me, comforts me, shushes me with His tenderness, even as I love on my baby girl in exactly the same way.

Love You, Jesus.

(And hey... she's asleep! Time to lay her down. Sssshhhhhhhhh...)
Oh! And look at the time. Whaddya know.


1 comment:

Sheila said...

It's two am...I'm up too :) Sometimes I wish it was with a newborn, but when I read your post I remember how truly exhausting parenting is, and it's good, cause it's right where Jesus wants us so we'll be desperate for Him. It doesn't stop, I don't think, or at least I hope it doesn't. I'm still as desperate for His grace and pleading for His help and mercy today with a 3 and 5 year old as I was when each of them were new and keeping me up all night.

I'm praying for you sister. I love your love for Jesus and I love seeing Him fill your "quiver" full of arrows He's using to silence the enemy.

love ya!
sheila