Friday, February 22, 2008

Cooking with Kellie (lol)

So, my Aunt Penny from Texas sent me a fun surprise. She works at Williams-Sonoma and so I'm always getting sweet late-season stuff out of the blue. And this last package she sent had 4 cookbooks (one was WAFFLES and one was a cooking with kids at the holidays) and the other 2 were these awesome cookbooks for preschoolers.

What's cool about these cookbooks is that they use REAL FOOD (no kool-aid or other gimmicky stuff). There's notes to the parent (the helper) and then kid-friendly instructions for the little Head Chef. And THEN... 2 pages of step-by-step ILLUSTRATIONS.

Kennady and I made French Toast using the illustrations. SHE LOVED IT!

Inside these creative cookbooks are recipes that get kids interested in helping in the kitchen AND actually wanting to eat the food!

CARROT PENNIES
HIDE AND SEEK MUFFINS
HOMEMADE LEMON-LIME SODA POP
NOODLE PUDDING
ZUCCHINI MOONS
GREEN SPAGHETTI
SALAD PEOPLE
POLKA DOT RICE
GREEN GARDEN DIP
CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP AND CRISPY CHEESE CRACKERS
COUNTING SOUP







This is the next recipe we want to try!

Recipe for
PRETEND SOUP
2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 T. honey
2 t. lemon juice
1 small banana, sliced
1 cup berries (any kind, fresh or frozen; if they're frozen, defrost and use all the juice -- it will add color to the soup)
  1. Place orange juice in a bowl. Add yogurt, honey, lemon juice.
  2. Whisk "until it is all one color."
  3. Place 5 banana slices and 2 T. berries in each bowl.
  4. Ladle the soup over the berries and bananas. Eat!

Note: You can add other kinds of fruit as well. Slices of kiwi are expecially pretty.
Yield: About 4 servings


One thing that's so cool about being a Mom is actually living vicariously through my kids. I loved loved loved loved cooking and baking as a kid. So much that I would watch Julia Childs as a 9-year-old (after Mathnet and Reading Rainbow, remember those?).

My parents bought a video camera (and it was one of our favorite sources of entertainment as 3-kids-with-no-neighbors-out-in-the-tullies). I would prop it up on a stack of books on top of a card table in the kitchen (this is so dorky, but so me!) and I would film my own cooking show... complete with sheets of paper I would flash in front of the screen with the show's name [COOKING WITH KELLIE] and the credits. Where are those video tapes?!!! I am SUCH a nerd!

Things I loved (or thought I would love as a girl and didn't get to) do, I now have the opportunity to do with my kids. My daughter just eats it up!

1 comment:

simmie flock said...

Oh, what fun! Avery and Nolan help cook dinner with us EVERY night. They are actually preparing and cooking parts of meals now with NO help. I'll ask Nolan "Nolan, could you please make the cresent rolls?" and he'll start with grabbing the pillsbury tubes out of the fridge and end with me helping slide the cookie sheet in and out of the oven. I'll say to Avery "Hey, Ave, could you start the salad, please?" and he'll start with grabbing the ingredients out of the crisper and end with setting a full bowl of salad on the table with a wide selection of toppings and dressings. These kids were CREATED for these cookbooks you're mentioning. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

And please...FIND THOSE TAPES!!! If it's the last thing you do, hunt them down! They're like bricks of gold, you know. What a treasure for your family to see! In the meantime, hearing the stories from your mouth will no doubt evoke imaginations galore. What great memories! And they're not nerdy in the least, you nerd! :)